Please read below and feel free to contact me with any questions.
- TO BOOK: I usually book one to two months at a time, and respond to emails as soon as I can. Usually it shouldn’t take more than a handful of days, but depending on what is happening, it could take longer. I respond to all emails.
- DEPOSITS: Depending on the project I require a $50 deposit or a $150 deposit to secure a tattoo appointment. This goes towards the final cost of your tattoo. I can go over this in detail through email, but usually I take deposits through Venmo, Square Cash, or PayPal. If we meet for a consultation in person, cash is also accepted. Deposits are non-refundable if you miss your appointment or cancel. Please email me in advance (48 hours or more) at email@example.com if you need to reschedule.
- CONSULTATIONS: Again, depending on the project, I am happy to meet at the shop for a short consultation. They can take a few minutes or up to 15 minutes. Many times it is easier to communicate the tattoo idea in person, and if you have other tattoos we are working around (or covering), it’s usually always a good idea for me to take a look at them.
- DRAWINGS FOR THE TATTOO DESIGN: Like most tattooers, I do not email drawings of the design before your appointment time. Not only does this protect the security of my artwork, but it is also much easier to make any changes the day of your appointment. If there is a time constraint, we can always reschedule the appointment so the drawing isn’t rushed.
- THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT: PLEASE be on time for your appointment. Being even 10 minutes late can set back my whole day. If you are more than 15 minutes late and I have other appointments set up, then your appointment might have to be rescheduled with a new deposit. You are welcome to bring a friend, but please try to be considerate of our limited space in my work station. It is located right by the lobby, so bringing more friends is fine as long as they wait in the lobby and be respectful. Make sure to sleep well and eat a full meal within 2 hours of coming in. Do not drink alcohol until AFTER your appointment. Be sure to check your emails/messages before your appointment; I do not always confirm appointments, but there are times that I do in case any time slots change.
- ACCESSIBILITY: Dovetail Tattoo (EAST) has a small parking space in the back. There is also plenty street parking nearby.
- PAYMENT/TIPPING: Cash is highly preferred, but I can also take Venmo, Square Cash, or PayPal. If you use your card, there will be a small fee for processing.
It is customary practice to tip your tattooer for their services, like you would tip a restaurant, bartender, or nail salon. While there is no set "rule" for tipping, and anything is appreciated greatly - people most commonly tip between 10-20% for their tattoo session. "But getting tattooed is already expensive?" It is - but remember that out of your tattoo cost, your artist only makes about half that much after paying their shop fees, taxes, and supply costs!
- RESCHEDULING: Please give me as much notice as possible if you must reschedule your appointment. Rescheduling within 48 hours of your appointment time, or rescheduling the same appointment two or more times, may result in forfeiture of your deposit depending on the circumstances. Please communicate with me to see if we can figure something out. If I need to reschedule - Please bear in mind that I am just one person working for myself, and sometimes need to reschedule appointments for personal reasons. I know this can be inconvenient or disappointing; understand that I feel the same way! In the event that I need to reschedule an appointment I will give as much notice as possible and fit you back into the schedule as soon as possible. I appreciate your understanding!
- LATE/NO SHOW: As I mentioned previously: if you arrive 15 or more minutes late to your appointment, I reserve the right to reschedule your time slot. If you no call/no show for a consultation, scheduling another consultation will require a deposit for your appointment. No call/no shows or same-day cancellations without fair reason on the day of your tattoo will result in forfeiture of your deposit. If you think you will run late, PLEASE CALL THE SHOP OR EMAIL TO LET ME KNOW! If you don't give me a heads up I may think you're not coming at all and leave for the day!
- PRICE QUOTES/MINIMUMS/BUDGETS: Custom work runs $150 per hour. The shop minimum is $60 for a tiny tattoo, so for certain pieces I can charge between $60-100 if they are small. There is no "average" or "standard" tattoo cost, so all quotes are given directly based on your tattoo and how long it takes to complete. So in order to give an accurate price quote, I need detailed information about the tattoo you have in mind - the approximate size, the style in mind, and the location on your body, and any reference photos you might have. Once I have a clearer concept of what you are looking to get, I will be able to give you a general time and price range. It is impossible to tell in advance exactly how much time and work your tattoo will take, so a final cost will be decided once we have completed your tattoo.
If you are working with a set budget, please let me know. If your proposed idea exceeds your budget, we can work together to scale back your idea to meet your budget. This usually means making the proposed idea smaller, or reducing the level of detail in the piece. Within reason, I am almost always able to make a compromise.
- TOUCH UPS: Touch-ups are free within one year of the tattoo, and must be scheduled in advance. If you would like to come in for a touch up, please email me directly at with clear photos of your healed tattoo so I can decide if it truly does need to be touched up. Any touch-ups scheduled after a year will incur a fee - typically the shop minimum will cover any touch-up work.
- RESPECTFULLY DECLINED PROJECTS: As an illustrator and craftsperson, it is at my discretion to decline projects that are not a good fit for me. This does NOT mean that I don't like your idea, or that it's not good - just that I don't feel that I am the right person for the project.